Monday, November 4, 2013

More Living Room Progress

In my last post, I realized that I actually posted a picture of the second step in our living room update. This is how the room looked right after we painted it and got moved in:


This was taken with my back to the front door, and you can see that it's a little crowded. We were also using Walker's old media stand, which he and his college roommates bought with the $100 someone paid them to set up a tent on their lawn during some event on Main Street (Bulldog Bash, maybe?) We also had Walkers' 7-8 year old TV, which was slowly losing pixels every day. 

From the other angle you can see that we were using Walker's old desk as an entryway table. (Hi Kirby!)


So we were on the lookout for both a new TV and a new media stand. We weren't in any hurry for these things, necessarily, but when we got a coupon for hhgregg in our new homeowner's packet, we decided to go check it out...and of course we came home with a new TV:



Hello beautiful. The thing I love most about this TV is its slimness. It's about 1/10th the thickness of the old projection TV, about a million times lighter, and even though the screen is bigger, it actually looks the same size as the old one, because that one had such a huge frame around it. And it's a smart TV, which I'm kind of in love with. 

You may also notice a couple other new items in this picture. First, the dresser/TV stand: 


We had been scouting out a consignment store near our house for a piece like this, and one day, there it was. Not only was it the perfect size, but it was also a great price. Originally priced at $165, it had been there for a while, so it was marked down to around $108. We offered $100 cash, and it was ours. You can see that it has a few scuffs and scrapes, which is why it was priced so low. I used some Milsek orange oil cleaner, which helped with most of the minor scrapes. I still need to use some Restor-a-finish to give it a nice shine and cover up that chip in the front, but I love the extra storage it adds to the room, and the mid-century look is exactly what we were looking for. (Kirby seems to make cameos in most of my pictures, along with his favorite ball...)

And speaking of mid-century, we found this piece at our local Habitat ReStore. Originally marked at $35, we got it for $25. It's the perfect spot for the record player we got for Christmas, and the style fits right in, even though the wood is a different tone than the media stand. 


If you look back at the third picture in this post (with the new TV), you'll also notice a new chair that we got for $5 from some friends who were moving. I'll post a better picture of it soon. I wasn't sure about the yellow seat, but it actually works well with the yellow accents on the fireplace. Which, now that there's not so much yellow in the room, I sort of like. 

There's one more item in the room that's set the tone for this space, but I don't have a picture of it right now. I'll post about that, as well as our newest updates to this space, in my next post...

Have you found any noteworthy items at consignment sales or ReStores lately? 





No comments:

Post a Comment